The application process is now CLOSED for 2016 Masterpiece Study Grants. Please check back in summer 2017 to apply for the 2017 Materpiece Study Grants.
"As I sat with, looked at, and photographed the main objects held in this collection, I was able to visit the ancestors who made these beautiful objects, and learn from the brush strokes, the grooves made by their knife blades and craftmanship of their tools...The work and research I have been able to do while in Seattle has been truly inspirational.” - Dion Kaszas, 2016 Masterpiece Study Grant Recipient
Program Partner Museums:
American Museum of Natural History - New York, NY, USA
Museum of Vancouver - Vancouver, BC
Pitt Rivers Museum - Oxford, UK
Royal BC Museum - Victoria, BC
The Field Museum - Chicago, Ill, USA
UBC Museum of Anthropology - Vancouver, BC
To be eligible for a YVR Art Foundation Masterpiece Study Program grant, applicants must:
• Be a practicing artist, or small group of artists, of BC or Yukon First Nations ancestry
• Live in BC or the Yukon
• Wish to further their art practice through research and study of BC or Yukon First Nations art work currently held in the collection of one of the Foundation’s partner museums
• Submit an application outlining a proposed travel/study opportunity, including a budget, at one of the partner museums
• Be able to organize and book their own travel arrangements to the museum (transportation, accommodations etc.) from their home community
• Be able to set up a research/study visit with the proposed museum
• Be able to travel to the proposed museum for the research/study visit no earlier than January 2018 and no later than June 2018
• Agree to submit a written Study Report within one month of concluding their travel/study project
Note: applicants who have received YVR Art Foundation Scholarships e.g. the Youth Scholarship or the Mid-Career Scholarship are eligible to apply for a Masterpiece Program grant, however they may not apply in the same year in which they have received a Youth or Mid-Career scholarship award. Artists may receive a maximum of two Masterpiece Study Grants.
If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact Cynthia McCreery at Cynthia@yvraf.com or by phone at 604-276-6261.
Maximum grant amounts to cover the cost of travel, accommodation and meals for the travel/study opportunity:
- Up to a maximum of $2,000 for travel to BC museums
- Up to a maximum of $2,500 for travel to US museums
- Up to a maximum of $3,800 for travel to the Pitt Rivers Museum in the UK
How to apply
There are two ways to apply:
- Fill out your application online. ONLINE APPLICATION.
- Download the Guidelines & Application Form PDF, complete it and mail it to the address listed on the application
If you have any questions please contact:
Applications must be received by 4:00pm on September 29, 2017. Applicants will be notified by December 2017.